Thursday, July 31, 2008

Blogging about filmmaking

Local filmmaker Jim Exton is blogging about a short film he's making in the next couple of weeks. It is his first time working with someone else's script and his first time shooting in 35mm.
www.jim-exton.blogspot.com

Here's a sample from Jim's journal:

I was reviewing the schedule today. The three feature films I have produced all had 14 days schedules for what ended up being a 90 minute film. Word of advice to you: don't do that.

Unless your whole film takes place in 1 room.

For this film, I have a four day shoot to do about 11 scenes. The good thing is there are only three locations. And there are no company moves (when you pack up during the day and move to another location).

So to me, this schedule is luxurious. Part One is above. Usually you work a 10 to 12 hour day on a film. It is not uncommon to work up to 15 hours a day or more. Not me. I hate it. I sleep 12 hours a day, so you do the math. Around the 9 hour mark, I am going to be the first one bitching to go home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jon W. Sparks, long-time reader, first-time commenter ... Just wanted to say thank you for doing this film blog :)